This Mother’s Day surprise your mom, grandma or aunt with an adorable handmade sharpie mug. As a mom of three my all time favorite gifts are the ones made by my kids.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a commission.
My two favorite things in this world are my kids and coffee. I couldn’t think of a better Mother’s Day gift than a special mug made by my kids to have coffee in every morning.
I also love when the kids give me gifts that I can use. Don’t get me wrong I love the pictures and cards they make for me but they hang on the fridge for a while then go into a keepsake box. Having a handmade gift that I can use everyday like a coffee mug makes the gift so much sweeter.
This Mother’s Day handmade sharpie mug is perfect for kids of all ages to make (with a little adult help) and is the perfect gift to show mom how much she means to you. All you need is a plain white coffee mug, some oil based sharpies and a stencil.
Use the stencil to designate who you want to make the mug for. This can be mom, grandma or even a favorite aunt. The best part of homemade gifts is that they can be customized for whoever you want to give it too.
Related → 7 Habits to Instill in Your Kids
You have to get the oil based sharpie markers though, because regular sharpies will wash off. Also make sure that the mug is wiped clean to make sure there are no oils or dirt so the paint can dry properly to the mug.
Once your kids have finished coloring and drawing on their mug make sure to let it sit for at least 24 hours to make sure the paint is good and dry.
It’s really important for the mug to be completely dry before baking it in the oven.
When you’re ready to bake your mug in the oven, it is essential that it is heated and cooled with the oven. So place the mug in the oven before starting it and do not remove the mug until it is completely cooled with the oven. This will prevent the mug from cracking.
Helping your kids make a Mother’s Day gift for mom is not only special for her but it’s also a great way to get the kids involved in her gift instead of just picking something up from the store. They will be so much more excited to give her a handmade gift.
Plus, my kids loved making these because they’re at an age where it’s rare that they get to use markers and even rarer that they get to color something that’s not paper. And for whatever reason kids always find it fascinating to bake something in the oven that isn’t food.
Mother’s Day Handmade Sharpie Mug
*it’s important to use oil based sharpie for the longevity of the mug for washing.
**the mod podge is optional if you want to be able to wash your mug in the dishwasher.
1. Using the oil based sharpie markers, carefully fill in the stencil with “mom” or “grandma” or even “aunt”. Be careful not to apply too much pressure on the sharpie to prevent it from bleeding down the mug.
2. Let the kids color and draw on the mug around the stenciled word with the oil based sharpie markers.
3. Allow to sit for at least 24 hours to completely dry.
4. Once the marker has completely dried and had time to sit, place the mug into the oven before turning it on. Be sure to peel off the label off on the bottom before inserting in oven if there is one.
5. Turn the oven on to 350 degrees for 30 minutes, then increase the temperature to 400 degrees for 15 more minutes. Turn the oven off and do not remove the mug until both oven and mug have completely cooled.
*allow the mug to heat up and cool down with the oven. Do not preheat and do not take the hot mug out right away to avoid cracking.
*the temperature will alter the coloring slightly
7. Add a thin coat of Mod Podge to make your mug top rack dishwasher safe. This will ensure your kids’ beautiful gift will last for a while. Do not put mugs in the dishwasher without sealing them.
6. Fill the mug with mom’s favorite chocolates, wrap it with tissue paper and put it in a cute gift bag for her to open or use it to surprise her with coffee (and breakfast) in bed!
Mom will love this adorable, handmade gift for years to come. She will be sure to appreciate the time and love it took to make this special Mother’s Day gift every time she pours her morning cup of coffee!
Related → Family Road Trip Survival Guide